Sunday 27 November 2016

Remembering Phillip Hughes

I'll never forget where I was when the news broke that Phillip Hughes had passed away. It was a Thursday and I had just come home from school, glued to the afternoon news as everyone waited for any update on his situation. I had to go to the orthodontist at 4pm and just before we were about to leave the headlines flashed upon my television screen. My Mum and I got into the car and headed to Manly for my appointment. The trip was silent as we listened to radio stations letting their audience know of the awful news. 

Completely heartbroken. I could hardly believe such a budding athlete's life had been taken before he could really show his potential. It was a weird feeling. Whilst never even speaking to him I was so upset by his passing. Being so invested in the sport and seeing this tragedy unfold made it almost feel like I had lost a family member myself. And whilst my heart reached out to his family and close friends, it also reached out to Sean Abbott who had gone through one of the most traumatic experiences of his life. The comments he received on social media after the incident were absolutely disgusting. It was not his fault.

I hardly ever saw Phillip Hughes without a smile on his face. Whatever team he was playing for, he would always be laughing in the field. His radiant personality evidently rubbed off on his team mates, hence why they truly loved him so much. I hope every little cricketer learns from Hughes to always truly enjoy the sport, from the moment they begin to throughout their professional career if they're lucky to make it that far.

Today marks another year that has gone past without Phillip Hughes. Last year we watched the Aussies put in a gutsy performance where Mitchell Starc batted with a broken foot and the team's physiotherapist had to field. This year is no different, after two embarrassing defeats a team of young guns have come together to put in a valiant effort and give the Saffas a run for their money. It's almost as if Hughesy is watching over the boys.


Ever since the accident I always notice the number 408, and every time I check my phone to see the time in the afternoon it always seems to read "4:08pm". I know I won't ever stop remembering number 408,  neither will the rest of the cricket community. I hope you still have that infectious smile on your face Hughesy. You'll forever be 63 not out x

No comments:

Post a Comment